It’s light, it’s fast and it’s SUPERIOR! If you’re looking for a light cushioned trail runner that allows plenty of natural proprioception to compliment the zero drop platform, the Superior 5 is an ultra grippy trail running shoe to take on any trail. It features a MaxTrac outsole with a multi-directional lug pattern that generates tremendous traction on rocky terrains. This will keep you nimble and sure footed as you dance your way to the top or the bottom of the mountain. The updated removable stone guard uses less material and is lighter in weight for those who feel they want a little more protection under foot on rocky technical terrains. Despite being a light cushioned shoe with a 21mm stack height, the Qauntic midsole provides a nice level of softness under foot for a shoe that doesn’t offer a lot of cushioning, and provides an excellent level of responsiveness.
The major difference between the previous Superior 4.5 and this newer update, is the upper. The new and improved upper offers more strength and breathability and offers a velcro gator attachment and locked-in fit.
The Altra Superior 5 is ideally suited for trail runners who like a fast, agile shoe with a natural running feeling.
- Altra Quantic midsole balances cushioning and responsiveness while remaining lightweight.
- Inner Flex flex grooves system provides additional flexibility and cuts weight for increased performance.
- Natural Ride System (NRS) design includes a more natural, foot-shaped last, zero millimeter heel to toe drop, and metatarsal-specific shapes in the outsole to assist in proper foot mechanics and allow for more natural foot movement.
- Natural Foot Design follows the natural shape of the foot for ultimate comfort.
- Removable StoneGuard Rock Protection slips underneath the sockliner to disperse shock and protect the feet from rock-bruising. StoneGuard weighs 1.0 oz and is 1 mm thick (Men’s size 9).
- Trail Claw outsole design uses a sticky rubber multi-directional pattern, combined with updated lugs under the forefoot and claws under the toes to provide improved grip and stability on trails.
- FootPod outsole design follows the natural construction of the human foot for maximum flexibility and a responsive ride.
- MaxTrac Outsole uses anatomically-shaped sticky rubber that prioritizes grip and durability on uneven terrain.
- Quick Dry Air Mesh is updated for durability, wicking water away from your foot while remaining light and breathable.
- Seamless Upper reduces irritation and provides next-to-foot comfort.
- Gaiter Trap is a velcro strap that secures trail running gaiters to the shoe, preventing debris from building up beneath the shoe.
- Synthetic Overlays provide long-lasting support.